Senior Visual Designer
Do you excitedly tell all your friends when your favorite restaurant changes the typography on its dinner menu? Do you spend your free time doodling new logos for organizations that you think need a rebrand? Do you feel a sense of calm satisfaction when you successfully explain a fundamental principle like edge tension to somebody with no background in design? Are you a kind, thoughtful person who’s fun to be around for 40 hours or so each week? If so, it sounds like you should come be a Senior Visual Designer at Velir!
As Senior Visual Designer, you’ll work with Velir’s clients to develop exciting, modern visual aesthetics for their websites. Your main responsibility will be to craft the look and feel of their sites, based on your inputs from digital strategists, user experience designers, and your own direct engagement with the client. You won’t be heavily art-directed – you’ll be expected to bring your own creativity to bear on your projects – and you’ll also be the main person responsible for executing those creative ideas. This means that you’ll have a very direct, impactful role in the success of our clients and projects.
In order to accomplish this, you’ll not only have to be a great designer, but you’ll have to be a great communicator, as adept at explaining and pitching design as you are at creating it. From time to time, you’ll be expected to participate in estimating and pitching for new project opportunities. You will also be expected to use your experience to mentor and collaborate with other department members, and to help the design and user experience group, and Velir at large, grow and improve by providing input into the development of department processes and techniques.
Your day to day responsibilities will revolve around creating and refining clients’ site aesthetics using deliverables like visual inventories and style tiles, working with UX designers to adapt wireframe or prototypes into full site designs, and participating in lots of direct client communication as the team works to complete projects. You’ll have opportunities to work on web applications, contribute to wireframes, site enhancements, feature additions, and data visualizations as well as from-scratch website redesigns. To sum up: you’ll be an actively-engaged leader on a growing, collaborative, no-ego team whose primary focus is “making the best stuff we can for clients we really care about.” Sound good?
Skills, Experience, & Attitude: Required
- A strong portfolio of sample client work from past freelance, agency, or internal design positions
- 4+ years’ experience creating designs for the web using modern design and wireframing tools
- Solid grounding in fundamental principles of UX design
- Strong understanding of the capabilities of HTML/CSS and how to design with these in mind; eagerness to explore possibilities of code
- Top-notch communication skills appropriate for both internal teams and client teams
- Collaborative, supportive, respectful personality
- Strong time-management skills and the ability to work on multiple projects under deadline
- Ability to respond professionally and positively to critical feedback
- Capability to take the lead in defining creative direction of projects
Skills, Experience, & Attitude: Nice-to-Have
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (e.g. graphic design, human interface design, fine art, etc.)
- Previous agency experience
- Past experience working on a team with other designers
- Previous experience as a user experience designer, front-end developer, interaction designer, art director, creative director, or similar
- Business development/pitch/proposal experience
- Data visualization design experience
Apply today! Send a cover letter and resume, to email@example.com.
Velir is an E-Verify Company.