This global association is a nonprofit education and research institute supported by its members. Through their research including reports, webinars, case studies, events, and more, they are able to deliver global content to their members. The association has more than 45,000 members worldwide.
The organization's website featured a gated site where members seek out the latest industry news, events, and research. However, this part of the site seemed to only be receiving a small percentage of traffic from the association's vast member base. In addition to possible underreporting of traffic, the website's analytics also lacked the ability to track detailed member activities like specific search facets used, preferred topics and content types, and clicks on promotional components. As a result of limited member exposure and measurement, the organization was unable to accurately assess gaps between member needs and available content, which was vital to helping them better serve their members and increase engagement on the platform.
The organization's key challenges were:
- Painting a more accurate picture of site traffic from its member base
- Configuring analytics that fully track member actions on-site
- Creating tailored content that serves members’ needs
We built a comprehensive analytics tagging strategy for the gated site by collaborating with the association to define their digital goals. These digital goals were based on their business goals, which included retaining and growing membership. We then identified the key performance indicators (KPIs) that the organization needed to track to measure its success against its digital goals. Once the KPIs were identified, we translated them into tagging specifications.
Our tagging strategy provided measurable and trackable objectives for specific parts of the site, so the association could better understand user engagement.
The key business goals that informed our tagging strategy were:
- Retaining association members
- Growing membership
- A 221% increase in reported traffic after tagging implementation
- Robust reporting on member and search behavior which consolidated 25 Google Analytics reports and 5 from Coveo into a central dashboard
- Comprehensive data about logged in members and their content needs such as logins, new memberships, member account types, member regions, and topics members were interested in
- Scalable tracking executed in Google Tag Manager and implemented with code (datalayer variables) that can be expanded in future releases
We implemented comprehensive tagging that preserved the integrity of the the association's previous analytics tracking, while introducing new functionality to track logged-in users, methods to view content by topic, and detailed site search tracking powered by Coveo. This enabled the association to pull essential data from its analytics platform to analyze how members navigate the gated site and to use the insights drawn from that analysis to improve the website’s overall member experience. These changes also helped ensure the association was receiving a more accurate count of the members using the gated platform.